Due: On day assigned for final exams TBA
One of the goals of this class is to familiarize students with the vast opportunities for artistic experience in New York City. While we will visit museums, stages, and other venues as a class, for your Final Digital Assignment you will go with a partner to explore a new venue. The goal of this visit is twofold: 1. Introduce you and your classmates to a FREE venue where you can experience the arts in New York City. 2. Produce a creative, digital work that captures the experience of a particular artistic encounter.
Steps for Final Digital Project:
- Sign up for one of the venues below. Only two people may sign up for a single venue.
- Engage in independent research to learn more about that venue.
- Visit the venue with your partner in order to create your digital project, which may be one of the following:
- 3-5 minute video
- 3-5 minute audio broadcast/podcast
Expectations for video or audio file:
The goal here is to communicate a particular artistic experience to your audience. In addition to basic background information (who, what, where, when), you should also focus on the sensory details of the artwork itself as well as the space in which it exists. What are the sights, sounds, smells, energies that influence this artistic experience? After viewing or listening to your project, the audience should walk away with a real sense of “having been there.” It will be up to you and your partner how you want to approach the digital project. But please keep in mind that it might be easier to focus on a particular exhibition, artist, performance, etc., within the larger venue rather than trying to capture the venue in and of itself. Of course, some information about the venue will be necessary.
For ideas and inspiration, I have included examples on the Resources page of video/audio broadcasts that engage with various artistic spaces and works. Most include some of the elements below:
- Images or descriptions of particular artwork(s)
- Voiceover for background information and/or commentary about venue/artist/artwork(s)
- Interviews with staff and/or visitors at venue
- Images or sounds that exist in and around the artwork(s)
Technology: (If you do not have access to technology outlined below, please see me for alternatives)
- Any technology that you want to use is fine with me, as long as you can upload an accessible video or audio file to our class website by the date of our final exam.
- Recording programs available on smartphones or tablets are what I predict you will use. YouTube has a free and very intuitive program for editing and posting digital video footage (privately or publicly). For audio, those with Apple Products may want to use Garage Band. Audacity is a free audio-editing application that you can download to any device.
Venues for Final Digital Project: